Uncle Hugo’s, the oldest independent science fiction and fantasy bookstore in the US founded in 1974, burned down during the recent riots protesting police brutality and racism in the wake of the recent shocking death of George Floyd during a police arrest in Minneapolis. As of May 30, at least 250 businesses across the Twin Cities had been damaged or destroyed.
Uncle Hugo’s Bookstore Burned Down in Riots
More from Under the RadarMore posts in Under the Radar »
- Why the U.S. Still Has a Severe Shortage of Medical Supplies
- Families of captured Hong Kong activists demand their return
- Behold the First Underwater Portrait in the History of Photography
- China’s ‘purification’ of classrooms: A new law erases history, silences teachers and rewrites booksChina’s ‘purification’ of classrooms: A new law erases history, silences teachers and rewrites books
- The 20-Year Hunt for the Man Behind the Love Bug Virus